This is the inaugural Life, Loves + Links – a (hopefully) monthly feature where I share what has been going on with the Joneses, things I’ve been loving or thinking about lately, including ALL THE LINKS to articles, podcasts, etc. I often have small ideas or things going on that don’t merit a whole post, so this is a place for them to all go. Like a junk drawer, but more fun and with no loose batteries.
- Life // Manuscript: Done! – Last Thursday my advisor and I submitted the revisions for a manuscript I’ve been working on for the last two years. To say it’s a relief to have it out of my hands is the understatement of the year. The weeks leading up to that day were crazy, but they confirmed the value of the habits and routines I’ve been building this year – I didn’t feel nearly as overwhelmed as I have during previous busy seasons with school.
- Love // Slow Cooker Sundays – As part of an attempt to create more space for Sabbath rest, I’ve dubbed Sundays slow cooker day in our house. It means we have a freshly cooked meal without much effort, and there are usually leftovers for our week ahead (or the freezer). I’ve been trying out a different recipe each week, and so far this enchilada orzo is my favorite (I used Trader Joe’s enchilada sauce, changed up the spices a bit, and used Daiya cream cheese, stirred in at the end).
- Link // The Lazy Genius – I discovered Kendra after she was a guest for The Popcast Live in Raleigh. She was hilarious, and I decided to check out her podcast, The Lazy Genius Podcast [iTunes]. There, on her blog, and on Instagram, Kendra gives general life advice and her motto is: Be a genius about the things that matter, and lazy about the things that don’t. That’s a motto I can get behind. Her specific advice is often great, but what I love even more is her approach to life – we don’t have to do everything, we can choose to do a few things well, and let’s not run in circles unnecessarily.
- I highly recommend her “home keeping” episodes (#21 – laundry, #32 – cleaning the kitchen, and #17 – cleaning the house).
- Also, she has a holiday series that started two weeks ago, and you should get on it! I’m already feeling less stressed and more excited about the holidays this year thanks to her recommendations.
- Life // Mr. Jones – This month, Matt started a new job as an EC (special education) teacher! He’s putting his education minor and his pediatric OT experience to use, and he’s doing what is called “lateral entry,” so he will earn his official teaching license in the next few years. He is loving it so far, and I know he’s going to be great at it!
- Love // My (our) electric blanket – My mom recently gave me one of the electric blankets she had in her stash. I’m pretty sure it’s the same one I used in high school, and I had forgotten how magical this thing was. I’ve been using it to “preheat” the bed every night, and it is so much easier to talk myself out of my reading chair when I know I have a warm bed waiting on me. It has the added benefit of helping us save energy this time of year, since we don’t need to turn the heat up in the whole house at night!
- Link // Other podcasts I’m loving lately: